Unfortunately, due to works to Polmadie Bridge, the 2018 Clydesdale Head of the River Race for 8s and 4s will not be going ahead. Watch this space for 2019 though!
The results are now available in the Events section of the website.
Thanks to everyone who made the 50th Scullers Head a great day, and well done to all the winners!
Clydesdale ARC invites clubs near and far to join us on the Clyde on 5th August for a fun and exciting day of races over a 2 lane 250 metre course on the Clyde in Glasgow Green.
See the Summer Sprint event page for more information.
The club had a very successful, if somewhat damp, day at Glasgow Rowing Club’s “summer” regatta on Saturday.
The rain seemed to pour all day with only the occasional break of sunshine, but that didnt stop Team Clydesdale from scoring numerous wins:
Ju16 2x, WRes2 8+, Ju18 1x, ORes2 4x, Ju16 1x, WJu16 4x, Ju15 1x, Res2 1x, Masters 4+, WRes2 2x (EUBC composite) and W4x (EUBC composite).
The day ended with a 3-way club sprint across singles, pairs, doubles and quads – with Clydesdale taking the honours over Glasgow Rowing Club and Castle Semple Rowing Club.
The full results are available on the GRC web-page.
Wow, what a weekend! The first regatta of the season took place at Strathclyde Park in April and the squad wins speak for themselves:
J16 1x James M
J15 1x James M
J15 2x Adam and Matthew (GRC)
J16 2x James M and Idris
But, there are a few other results worth noting!
- J16 1x – Idris taking silver, Ewan finishing 4th and Adam (GRC) 6th
- J18 4x – silver for James R, Idris, James M and Jamie
- J18 1x – James R qualified for the final in one of the most competitive events of the weekend with 15 entries and 3 heats
- The J16 2x final coulda/woulda/shoulda been a 1-2 for the club, but for a mechanical issue off the start. Where so many others would have just chucked it after having handed the opposition a 150m start, Ewan and Jamie and quickly tried to fix the problem and they set off on what coulda/woulda/shoulda been the most impressive comeback of the regatta. The boys powered down the course and at the 250m to go, it looked like they were definitely going to pass the 3rd place crew and maybe catch the 2nd place crew – that is until the same problem occurred and the boys came to a shuddering stop. Despite having not one but two boat stopping dramas, the boys landed in good spirits and recognised that they had a stormin’ pace.
- In the Res2 4x, Ewan, Idris and Jamie were joined by Thomas McCaughtry of the seniors in what was an impressive race where the boys beat the Scottish opposition and trailed only the Belfast crew. Excellent stuff.
- In the J15 singles, Adam and Matthew went from crew-mates in the double to competitors in the singles, in different heats. Adam had a cracking row in the heat after a slightly sluggish start. He dug deep and powered through to overhaul all the opposition except James M – showing a determination that is a good sign for the future. The second heat was close, but after the half-way mark, Matthew broke clear to win his heat, overcoming some challenging conditions which put him under pressure in the last 250m. In the final, Matthew finished 4th ahead of Adam in 5th. Expect some more ding-dong battles between these two in the coming weeks!
Entries are open for this year’s corporate regatta!
Visit our Corporate Regatta page to find out how you and your colleagues can be part of this fun team-building activity. Entries close at the end of May.
What better way to spend some summer evenings than to mess about on the river and learn a new sport?
Have a look on the Corporate Regatta page for more information.
Clydesdale ARC are selling a 60kg Starline single and two sets of Concept2 sculling blades. Read more for details.
This year’s 6th of May Clydesdale Regatta is cancelled.
But don’t worry: we’re looking to organise a new sprint event in August. We are looking forward to this new event and hope to see you all there. More information will be given out closer to the time, so keep an eye out to our website and be ready!
Many thanks to all crews attending. Challenging conditions, fast flow and a shortened course made for quick times.
Congratulations to the winners of today (in running order):
- O8+: Edinburgh Uni BC A
- Nov 8+: Edinburgh Uni BC & Glasgow Uni BC (dead heat)
- W Res2 8+: Glasgow Academy
- W Nov 4+: Clydesdale ARC
- J16 4x+: Clydesdale ARC
- W J15 4x+: Loch Lomond RC
- Res2 8+: Edinburgh Uni BC
- W Ju18 8+: Glasgow Academy
- Nov 4+: Glasgow Schools
- Masters 4+: Clydesdale ARC
- W Res2 4+: Clydesdale ARC
- W Ju14 4x+: Castle Semple RC
The Head pennants were won by:
- Overall Head: Edinburgh Uni BC (Res2 8+) in 7 min 5 sec
- Overall Women: Glasgow Academy (W J18 8+) in 8 min 1 sec
- Junior Women: Castle Semple (W J18 8+) in 8 min 44 sec
Full results are available for download (results).
See you again soon at Clydesdale’s Summer Regatta on 6 May 2017!
The final draw for the 4’s and 8’s Head is now available (download). Unfortunately we had to cancel Res2 4+, Ju14 4x+ and W Ju16 4x+ due to insufficient entries.
All crews should be aware of the Rules of the Clyde, and keep left when rowing up to the start.
If you are driving to Clydesdale, please adhere to the 5 mph speed limit in Glasgow Green, and park on the river side only.
Find more information on the race on the 4’s and 8’s Head page.